Aggie's Music

I usually blab about film scores on this blog, but I don't mind the occasional tangent towards other interests. :)

Thursday, January 18, 2007

A quick concern from yours truly.

I always thought a symphony concert was better than a rock concert for a few reasons:

(1) You get around twenty times the amount of players and instruments on stage compared to that of a rock band.
(2) With #1 said, despite the greater amount of instruments on stage, I can still keep at ease with the fact that my ears will remain virgin while speakers on a band stage will penetrate them enormously.
(3) With all that noise and damage, rock concerts still don't have classy intermissions to give our ears a break. They don't serve wine either.
(4) I don't get a damn program after a rock concert. Instead, I have to buy a 40 dollar t-shirt to remember that I was even there in the first place.

Yeh, I'm really concerned with the ears of our children. It's not only all those concerts, it's also the abuse of volume control on CD Players, iPods, etc. My simple message is this: once you damage your ears, they will never heal. They're not like skin cells. Beethoven got away with amazing work because he already had such a heavily trained inner ear... his inner ear is better than the majority of the world's who can hear a tune. Nevertheless, you will not be the next Beethoven. I'm not saying rock is bad (or maybe I am), but I want to know that music will forever be heard. Be good to your ears.

Just a little vent.. perhaps a big exaggerated, but I also needed a new post here... baaadly. I watched a lot of classic films over the holidays, though. I can't wait to kill some time and write all about their scores. Bye!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger Kevin Langley said…

    At least someone cares about people making themselves deaf. It amazes me that I can be listening to music on headphones on the subway but I can hear someone's music clearly blasting though their ipod from halfway down the otherside of the car. That's just plain old gotta be painful.

    BTW, have you picked up the new Scott Bradley CD? It's pretty awesome. Have you ever read Film Music: A Neglected Art? I was thinking of picking it up, mostly for the chapter on cartoons and music, just wondering if maybe you'd recommend it if you have read it.

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger Aggie said…

    Thanks for the comment, kevin! If there are still copies available, I will most likely purchase it.. I read an article about its release a month or two ago and was very excited about it. It's a field of film/tv music that has really caught my attention.

    I borrowed 'Film Music: A Neglected Art' from my library. I'm *almost* to the animation chapter. So far, it's a great read! It's filled with lots of info on classic film scores from the 40s and 50s. Definitely recommending it. I'll give a full review on my blog once I've finished the whole thing. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home