Aggie's Music

I usually blab about film scores on this blog, but I don't mind the occasional tangent towards other interests. :)

Thursday, September 27, 2007

German Expressionism

This week, in my Film History class, we have been learning about German Expressionism in film. My God... I am SO interested in this movement now.


We watched The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Robert Weine, 1920) and I was completely in awe with the buildings, windows and scenery. I find it ever so fascinating that, even after WWI, the rise of Hollywood, and the Treaty of Versailles, German filmmakers were still able to express themselves without others automatically identifying their films as Nazi propaganda. Just look at the detail in the pic above! Even the ceiling looks like it has a mind of its own! :P


What bothers me (you know.. just a TINY bit..) is the lack of information regarding film music during this movement. I mean... they must've had some accompaniment, right? This film was made in 1920... it was young, but definitely there. I'm currently reading Miguel Mera and David Burnand's "European Film Music". I finished reading the first chapter that had to deal with film music in Germany, but only during 1927-1945, so it's practically all about Nazi propaganda. Not one thing about expressionism, which developed in the early 20s.


Hmm.. yah, that actually bugs me quite a bit. BUUUUT....


I'm going to borrow Metropolis from the library and watch it during (Canadian) Thanksgiving!! Yay! I hear Gottfried Huppertz's score is mind-blowing. :)

1 Comments:

  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    German Expressionism is one of my favorite movements too. I love the black eye make-up, the fantasy it took to construct the stairs and the roof tops, everything seemed so out-of-this-world and this is exactly what appeals to me. There are certain elements of German Expressionism that I integrate into my daily life.... like fantasy and trying to come up with different shapes and interpretations. AvdP

     

Post a Comment

<< Home